Senior Care Workers – 6146 – £21,000 Care Home and Field based
- To lead a team of Carers and act as a mentor to new members of staff.
- To ensure that all resident’s care needs are catered for and that they receive holistic, person centred care in a respectful and friendly manner.
- Working together with the care team ensure that all resident’s care needs, assessments and risk plans are updated as and when necessary and all changes are communicated to the team and families.
- To be aware of and deliver the physical care appropriate to each resident whilst at all times ensuring dignity, privacy and choice. This will include help with washing, shaving, bathing, positioning in bed, dressing and undressing, mobilisation with aids if necessary and all toiletry needs.
- To be aware of and deliver and meet the emotional and psychological needs of each resident whilst at all times ensuring dignity, privacy and choice.
- To escort residents as necessary.
- To assist residents with menu choices and with eating if necessary. This may involve the preparation of light snacks and drinks.
- To ensure that incontinence is managed in a discreet and dignified way and that resident’s toilet needs are met on request or as necessary. This will involve assisting resident’s transfer from bed/chair in an appropriate way.
- To assist residents in arranging personal activities, social or otherwise e.g. parties, outings, games etc. Also, to assist those residents who wish to attend Church or other religious activities and respect their religious beliefs
- To communicate adequately through both verbal and written means with other members of the care team, and inform the senior person on duty of any changes on the physical, emotional or social condition of any resident.
- To participate in the key worker system as directed by the Home Manager. This may include assisting residents with educational activities such as cookery, photography, beauty care, drama, shopping and life skills.
- To assist in the general running of the home, preparing/serving drinks and light snacks , bed making, putting away laundry, tidying rooms and wheelchair cleaning etc. To ensure and maintain the general tidiness/cleanliness of the Home, cleaning equipment as required and reporting any faults to management.
- To undertake some administrative duties e.g. report writing, answering telephone, administering medication and keeping records in accordance with registration requirements.
- Whilst on duty to be responsible for the residents Health & Safety by ensuring that the environment is clean, clear and safe, and ensuring that spills etc are cleaned as they occur using appropriate cleaning methods and reducing odours
- To welcome residents and to be involved in the admission procedure.
- To act at all times, whilst on duty, in accordance with Supporting Care philosophy.
- To exercise responsibilities under the Health & Safety at Work Act 1974 and the policies and procedures of Supporting Care including fire, reporting of accidents and call out of GP/District Nurse/emergency services.
- To undertake other duties consistent with the basic objectives of the post.
- To be jointly responsible for one specific clinical area as directed by the Home Manager within the home. The key areas are:
• Moving and Handling
• Food and Nutrition
• Wound prevention
Training will be provided where necessary.
• NVQ Level 3 or equivalent care qualification
• Evidence of personal and professional development
• Experience of working with older people
• Knowledge and use of clinical assessment tools e.g. Waterlow,
• Understand care planning processes and have experience of writing care plans
• Experience of leading a shift
• Experience of working in the care home environment
• Experience of working with individuals with dementia
• Good organisational skills
• Good supervisory skills
• Good communication skills both written and verbal
• Ability to contribute to, monitor and implement changes that improvement service delivery and outcomes for residents
• Ability to plan allocate and delegate work appropriately
• IT literate
• Ability to be flexible with regard to working hours
• Builds effective and credible relationships both internally and externally
• Works collaboratively with others sharing ideas and information at all times
• Effectively builds trust with a consistent approach between actions and words
• Has the ability to raise standards through innovation and new ideas
• Will take responsibility for issues and resolve them.
• Able to cope in difficult situations with tact and diplomacy
• Ability to build rapport and positively influence others
• Ability to inspire professionalism